Friday, January 10, 2014

A Labor of Love


Everyone who either knows me, or reads my blog knows that I am of a creative nature. OK, so I take it to the extreme! But what many of you don't know is that my husband is an extremely talented woodworker. He doesn't do it for money, he just enjoys making things for the people he loves. In an upcoming post I'll show you several other things he has made for our family, but this one deserves a spot all it's own!

This was one of my Christmas gifts this year. I don't know when he first started working on it, but it's been sitting in the back room since I moved in here over five years ago. I thought it was so pretty and suggested that we hang it up. Oh no, it wasn't wall worthy yet! So there is sat, for a couple more years. Since the cut work was done on a scroll saw, the edges were flat, sharp, and boring. He decided to pick it up one day and start sanding, and sanding, and more sanding until all the edges in all the cutouts were smooth and rounded like you see in the picture. Then he decided it would be so much prettier with a candle displayed on it, so we drew up a template and he took it to a local glass cutter and had the little candle shelf made. Before he gave it to me he coated it with a polyurethane, and look at it now! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of work and love went in to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Aren't you a creative pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, and such a special gift!! Your hubby is so talented!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful. Your husband is very talented

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful piece! So much detail! Glad he got it finished so you can share it :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...