Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Finding Balance - Difficult, But Possible


One of the things I have always struggled with was finding balance in my life. How much time and energy to put into business, home, chores, family, leisure, etc. Striking the perfect balance has never been my strong suit. But I do believe I'm getting closer!

Over the past several months, along with working on creating a healthier me, I've been working on balancing all the areas of my life. The most important thing is family. That goes without saying, however, sometimes I'd find myself so wrapped up in my business that I didn't spend as much time with them as I should have. This is especially true with my husband. Sometimes when you live with someone, you tend to think that togetherness is existing together, but it's really more than that. We are spending more time doing things together such as walking, watching movies, hanging out and talking. 

It's been nice to bring my healthy lifestyle to the front as well. I've missed that! This business kept me a lot more inactive than I should have been. That's why I make it a point to get my power-walks in everyday, with my husband when he's not working days. If he's working, I'll walk alone, with my audio books, or hop on the elliptical. I've also added this great standing workstation to my studio, which has added almost 3000 steps to my days! I spend less time on the computer because I don't get all comfy sitting down. I do what I have to do, and get off the computer.

The hardest thing to do was to lighten up on my business. I still work hard at it, don't get me wrong, but I was working at it almost every waking moment! Unless I had another commitment, I was in the studio, or at the computer. And when I was somewhere else, all I could think about was what I could be accomplishing back at the studio. It is so freeing now to put that all aside and ENJOY my time away. When I take long weekends and trips, I take my traveling laptop only to check and respond to customer emails if needed. And of course I check the home surveillance cameras. I like to peek in on Punkie. That's it. I really ENJOY my trips! Next one is in the fall when I visit my daughter. And I best get my butt in shape because she has some serious hiking planned!

So it it's not about giving anything up, it's about making compromises and finding time for the most important things in your life such as the people you love, including yourself. If I don't take care of myself and my family, what good is anything else?

Now about the turtle. The hubster and I met his cute little guy on our power walk this morning. He was already on the grass so I didn't have to move him out of the road.

4 comments:

  1. cool turtle. I have a big problem with balance and right now I really need to get back into trying to be more healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love the pattern on that turtle! Guess it might take a bit of time before that guy makes it to 3000 steps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure many of us "modern women" struggle with balance. I don't think I'm there yet. I used to exercise much more. I need to do walks! If I get set up with an audio book it would be fun and not so much a chore.
    Where will you be visiting your daughter and hiking?
    How fun to find the turtle. I've seen them in my yard only a few times. One time we found one the size of a quarter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret! My daughter lives in Austin, Texas. She always sends me pictures of their hiking excursions. They have some beautiful parks there.

      Delete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...